The Church’s one foundation
Is Jesus Christ her Lord,
She is His new creation
By water and the Word.
From Heav’n He came and sought her
To be His holy bride;
With His own blood He bought her
And for her life He died.
She is from every nation,
Yet one o’er all the earth;
Her charter of salvation,
One Lord, one faith, one birth;
One holy name she blesses,
Partakes one holy food,
And to one hope she presses,
With every grace endued.
The Church shall never perish!
Her dear Lord to defend,
To guide, sustain, and cherish,
Is with her to the end:
Though there be those who hate her,
And false sons in her pale,
Against both foe or traitor
She ever shall prevail.
Though with a scornful wonder
Men see her sore oppressed,
By schisms rent asunder,
By heresies distressed:
Yet saints their watch are keeping,
Their cry goes up,
And soon the night of weeping
Shall be the morn of song!
’Mid toil and tribulation,
And tumult of her war,
She waits the consummation
Of peace forevermore;
Till, with the vision glorious,
Her longing eyes are blest,
And the great Church victorious
Shall be the Church at rest.
Yet she on earth hath union
With God the Three in One,
And mystic sweet communion
With those whose rest is won,
With all her sons and daughters
Who, by the Master’s hand
Led through the deathly waters,
Repose in Eden land.
O happy ones and holy!
Lord, give us grace that we
Like them, the meek and lowly,
On high may dwell with Thee:
There, past the border mountains,
Where in sweet vales the Bride
With Thee by living fountains
Forever shall abide!
—Samuel J. Stone
The boy playing the violin in this video is 11 years old.
Other hymns, worship songs, sermons etc. posted today:
- Update: Just As I Am, Without One Plea at Still Reforming
- Update: O Love of God, How Strong and True at Fieldstone Cottage
- This Is My Father’s World at Rosemary at Home
- Give Me Oil in My Lamp at The Happy Wonderer
- Lord’s Day 11 at Tried With Fire
- Lord’s Day 11, 2012 at The Thirsty Theologian
- Faith Alone - March 11, 2012 at The Upward Call
- Praying the Psalms - Psalm 19 at Daily On My Way to Heaven
- A Sunday Psalm: The Treasury of David - Psalm 2:12 at Theology for Girls
- Your Weekly Dose of Spurgeon at Pyromaniacs: The Sufficiency of Scripture
Have you posted a hymn (or sermon, sermon notes, prayer, etc.) today and I missed it? Let me know by leaving a link in the comments or by contacting me using the contact form linked above, and I’ll add your post to the list.