O Word of God incarnate,
O Wisdom from on high,
O Truth, unchanged, unchanging,
O Light of our dark sky!
We praise Thee for the radiance
That from the hallow’d page,
A lantern to our footsteps,
Shines on from age to age.
The Church from her dear Master
Received the gift divine,
And still that light she lifteth
O’er all the earth to shine.
It is the golden casket
Where gems of truth are stored,
It is the heaven-drawn picture
Of Christ, the living Word.
It floateth like a banner
Before God’s host unfurl’d;
It shineth like a beacon
Above the darkling world;
It is the chart and compass
That o’er life’s surging sea,
Mid mists and rocks and quicksands,
Still guides, O Christ, to Thee.
O make Thy Church, dear Saviour,
A lamp of burnish’d gold,
To bear before the nations
Thy true light as of old;
O teach Thy wandering pilgrims
By this, their path to trace,
Till, clouds and darkness ended,
They see Thee face to face.
—William W. How
Other hymns, worship songs, sermons etc. posted today:
- Update: Holy, Holy, Holy! Lord God Almighty at Still Reforming
- Lord, With Glowing Heart I’d Praise Thee at Fieldstone Cottage
- Lord, Who Throughout These Forty Days at The Happy Wonderer
- I Lay My Sins on Jesus at Rosemary at Home
- Lord’s Day 10 at Tried With Fire
- Lord’s Day 10, 2012 at The Thirsty Theologian
- Faith Alone - March 2, 2012 at The Upward Call
- Update: Your Weekly Dose of Spurgeon at Pyromaniacs: Annas and the Cruel Narrowness of Broad-Church Liberalism
Have you posted a hymn (or sermon, sermon notes, prayer, etc.) today and I missed it? Let me know by leaving a link in the comments or by contacting me using the contact form linked above, and I’ll add your post to the list.