Alas! and did my Saviour bleed,
And did my Sovereign die!
Would he devote that sacred head
For such a worm as I!
Was it for crimes that I had done
He groaned upon the tree!
Amazing pity! grace unknown!
And love beyond degree!
Well might the sun in darkness hide,
And shut his glories in,
When Christ, the mighty Maker, died
For man the creature’s sin.
Thus might I hide my blushing face
While his dear cross appears;
Dissolve my heart in thankfulness,
And melt mine eyes in tears.
But drops of grief can ne’er repay
The debt of love I owe;
Here, Lord, I give myself away,
‘Tis all that I can do.
Congregation and choir
Red Mountain Church
At the Cross (same words with added refrain)
Other hymns, worship songs, prayers, sermons excerpts, or quotes posted today:
- The Covenant at The Upward Call
- Love Lifted Me at The Happy Wonderer
- Achtliederbuch: The First Wittenberg Hymnal at Theology for Girls
- Make Us Intruments of Your Peace from Trevin Wax
- Your weekly dose of Spurgeon: The power of the Scriptures at Pyromaniacs
- Grace without measure at Tried With Fire
Have you posted a hymn (or sermon, sermon notes, prayer, etc.) today and I missed it? Let me know by leaving a link in the comments or by contacting me using the contact form linked above, and I’ll add your post to the list.