Stricken, smitten, and afflicted,
See Him dying on the tree!
’Tis the Christ by man rejected;
Yes, my soul, ’tis He, ’tis He!
’Tis the long expected prophet,
David’s Son, yet David’s Lord;
Proofs I see sufficient of it:
’Tis a true and faithful Word.
Tell me, ye who hear Him groaning,
Was there ever grief like His?
Friends through fear His cause disowning,
Foes insulting his distress:
Many hands were raised to wound Him,
None would interpose to save;
But the deepest stroke that pierced Him
Was the stroke that Justice gave.
Ye who think of sin but lightly,
Nor suppose the evil great,
Here may view its nature rightly,
Here its guilt may estimate.
Mark the sacrifice appointed!
See who bears the awful load!
’Tis the Word, the Lord’s anointed,
Son of Man, and Son of God.
Here we have a firm foundation,
Here the refuge of the lost.
Christ the rock of our salvation,
Christ the name of which we boast.
Lamb of God for sinners wounded!
Sacrifice to cancel guilt!
None shall ever be confounded
Who on Him their hope have built.
Other hymns, worship songs, sermons etc. posted today:
- Update: How Firm a Foundation at Jam and Books
- O Word of God Incarnate at Hiraeth
- My Redeemer at threegirldad
- Not to Sinai’s Dreadful Blaze at Tried With Fire
- Whate’re My God Ordains Is Right at Rosemary at Home
- Who Is On the Lord’s Side? at The Happy Wonderer
- My Soul In Silence Waits for God at Field Stone Cottage
- Eternal Light! at Whatever Things
- Lord’s Day 14, 2010 at The Thirsty Theologian
- A Prayer for Sunday Morning at The Key to the Door
- Voices of the Past - April 3, 2011 at The Upward Call
- Come and Eat at Daily on My Way to Heaven
- Sabbath Keeping at Thistle Cove Farm
Have you posted a hymn (or sermon, sermon notes, prayer, etc.) today and I missed it? Let me know by leaving a link in the comments or by contacting me using the contact form linked above, and I’ll add your post to the list.