This is my entry in tomorrow’s dessert recipe round up at Simply a Musing Blog. This recipe was posted previously at my old blogger blog. It’s cheap strawberry season here and the rhubarb is up in the garden, so I’ve been thinking of making this.
One unbaked pie shell
- 1 egg
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups sliced fresh rhubarb (1/2 inch slices)
- 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup oats (quick cooking or rolled)
- 1/2 cup butter
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Place pie shell in a 9 inch pie pan, fold under excess and flute edge
- In a large mixing bowl, beat egg. Beat in the sugar, flour and vanilla. Fold in the sliced rhubarb and strawberries. Pour this filling into pie shell.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, brown sugar and oats. Cut the butter in until crumbly. Sprinkle on top of the pie filling.
- Bake at 400F for 10 minutes, and then reduce heat to 350F and bake for 35 minutes longer. Top should be brown and bubbly.
- Cool a bit before serving with whipped cream or ice cream.
- Store cooled pie in the refrigerator.